Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Mile High Sports Radio Re-Boot, BSN Denver Explosion and Drew Soicher

Mile High Sports Radio Re-Boot
I am biased, I am a sports fan so I will talk up franchises, colleges and players on my fantasy team higher than I should.  Maybe the same can be said for how I feel about my sports talk, but I present some fact with my bias so keep on reading whether you prefer Mile High Sports, The Fan or ESPN Denver.


Mile High Sports Radio re-launched on July 27th on 1340 AM.  Over two months has lapsed and the long break may have truly made Mile High Sports Radio better.  The segments have been trimmed down to allow the same amount of air time but keep them off the same schedule of commercial breaks that The Fan or ESPN Denver use.  This has always been something I found to make no sense.  Why take the same commercials as your competitor?  I do most of my channel surfing when commercials hit, so I applaud this move.  Nothing worse than 3 sports talk shows running commercials at the same damn time.  It's a way to steal listeners if your show is rocking.  So a quick breakdown of the changes are in order.


7-9 a.m. for Morning Mayhem: I have been impressed by Morning Mayhem with the addition of Dee White as their producer.  Dee is no Joshua Dover but he is the glue holding Morning Mayhem together.  I have and always will be a fan of the show but without Dee squashing some of the bad takes, my finger may have hit my SAT button in my car.  Cello has came back stronger.  Danny needs to get back on point.


9-11 a.m for BSN Denver Sports Desk: I truly enjoyed the takes of Adam Kinney and Joshua Dover when they had their own show, Denver Sports Nation, before.  It is good to hear them on daily and the only live and local sports talk show after 9 a.m. in Denver.  The two make a great team and bring a lot of different talk to Denver and then bring in BSN staff to help give knowledge on other local sports teams like the Buffs, Rockies and Rams.  It's nice to hear their eclectic sports show.  Dover has always been a good dude both on the mic and off of it.


11 am-1 pm Gil Whitely: Dude is older than my grandparents but he took the couple months to give people the most information of what was going on at Mile High Sports.  Hard working, different sort of show.  I still can't do more than 15 minutes at a time but he's the perfect headed to the job site or lunch talk.  This is my brief Scott and Sandy tune-in just to see if they can save me from Gil's voice for a few minutes.


1 pm-2 pm Irv and Joe: These old dogs were good in the 90s and early 00s.  Bronco Billy, Clyde, etc. are the reason they still have a show because I can't do it any more.  Cecil Lammey gets my attention at this time.


2 pm-4 pm The Big Show: Kent Erickson is the unbuttered bread to the delicious omelet with home style potatoes covered with tabasco that Benny Bash and Benjamin Allbright are.  This show is good.  It is entertaining.  I tune in strictly for Ben-Squared.


4 pm-6 pm Goodman and Fogg: Eric Goodman is a machine in every phase of advertising to sports talk.  He has a good partner with Zach Fogg which is something he has not had in a long while.  The two are entertaining.  They must outshine Nate Kreckman.  My ears bleed the instant I accidentally have 104.3 tuned in.


6-8 p.m. Notaro and...: Littering and, littering and, littering and... That's a Super Troopers reference.  Notaro has always been good.  I enjoy him solo.  I enjoyed him partnered with Tom Helmer but that was short lived and 2 months after that experiment ended, Big Dee White took Helmer's spot.  White needs some non production air time and this is a great move.


After 8 p.m. I have not tuned in.  The only time I would, I would be in my car and the AM radio signal is scratchy once the sun starts to descend behind the Rocky Mountains.  The addition of Will Peterson to the staff on a permanent basis has already brought great things like partnering up with SB Nation and a clean website and appearance.  I truly have enjoyed these changes and applaud the work Mile High Sports has done, but if they want to get back on the stage with the big dogs, they need that FM dial as soon as possible.


BSN Denver Explosion
While at Mile High Sports took their hiatus, Brandon Spano took his Brandon Spano Network website and turned it into a force in online sports media for Denver.  I hardly click on the Denver Post because I either get Rockies, Broncos or CSU talk that I can get everywhere else.  He has added some talented young writers and hard chargers.  The best thing about the site is it has added different takes for all sports that you aren't getting from the tired old Denver Post that lost it's most talented writer in Benjamin Hochman and has no connection to Denver Nuggets or CU any longer.  Even their Broncos takes are bland with the departure of another writer in Mike Klis to 9 News and monotone Troy Renck trying to talk Broncos when he is more of a fit for the sport he covered in between his Broncos stints, Rockies baseball.


Brandon Spano has made a lot of great moves, from the RKs covering CU and CSU athletics to the very honest and talented David Martin covering Rockies but his biggest get may have been bringing Nate Timmons over.  Timmons was an excellent writer for Denver Stiffs and all things Nuggets talk.  Internet media has taken over print media and the amount of content and effort Spano has put together along with giving up the radio gig to give better suited guys in Dover and Kinney. 


But all things are not rainbows in BSN Denver land.  As I was typing this I saw that South Stands Denver is joining the BSN Denver team.  If you have followed Colin Daniels and John Reidy's podcast or twitter feeds, some of the most inappropriate and limited sports information comes from these two.  Their takes are for the truly lowbrow, thickheaded, meek minded, idiotic, uneducated sports fans.  Proceed with caution when dealing with these two.


Fire Drew Soicher
There isn't a much better way to put it but with that, Drew Soicher should be fired.  I could care less  he had a stupid segment on the Broncos season.  It's the fact he brings very little sports knowledge or hard work to the table.  He has somehow kept a job and on top of the sports department at 9 News for far too long.  I haven't tuned in for years, but every time I read or see a video of his, I just shake my head and say "How the hell does this guy still work at 9 News?"  Hopefully, for the sake of Denver, we won't have to endure him past this year.  It's time for a fresh start 9 News. 




Enjoy your weekend.  Don't go sliding down a handrail after you have taken edibles and are drunk off your ass like Colin Daniels did this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment