Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Respects to a Retiring Legend: Irv Brown

Irv Brown has been a staple of Denver Sports Talk for longer than I have lived and his retirement today is a bittersweet day.  It brings back memories for many on why they fell in love or got involved with sports radio.  The duo of Irv Brown and Joe Williams and the Irv and Joe show will most likely never come close to being matched with program directors constant programming shake-ups and maybe it is fitting, because no one has done it quite like Irv and Joe.


Irv Brown brought two things that are vital in Sports Talk Radio: Sports IQ/Knowledge and Entertainment.  His sports IQ and genuine love of talking anything and everything from the high school to professional level has been unmatched.  Whether it be the easy talk of Broncos or the Avs talk, Irv Brown took the time and had something that wasn't full of bologna.  He actually did his homework and this was before the internet.  Irv paid attention to details.  I didn't know Irv as the coach and referee but I felt like I did with his stories.


His connections were endless, from the secretary at an elementary school to the unknown high school basketball player from 40 years ago to iconic Bob Knight, Irv took the time to get to know and show respect to those he dealt with.  It's how he treated sports talk and callers.  I can't recall him ever belittling a caller like Sandy Clough or not trying to bring something positive to the program.  He was always an upbeat voice.


Personally, Irv Brown means a lot to my love for sports talk radio.  I began listening religiously to sports talk radio in 1999.  I had listened to Nuggets games on-air for many years before that, but in 1999 I began to drive to college from Thornton to Golden five days a week.  It was a commute that was no less than 35 minutes on a good day and was mostly like a job being there 8-4 p.m.  My commute home consisted of only one show, Irv and Joe on 950 The Fan.  Irv and Joe made The Fan become what it is today, a giant.  They got callers involved with The Hunt and their repertoire with one another was always great entertainment.  Yes, I have called for their retirement at times, but no matter what if I was in the car, I gave Irv and Joe a few minutes of my time, because they always balance those key elements of Sports IQ and Entertainment.  Unfortunately, many other shows have repeatedly failed at this.  They either get too involved in the entertainment/schtick of it (see Big Al & D-Mac) or too sports IQ (see Sandy Clough and his dead air).


I listened to Irv on with Mike Evans today.  One of my favorite sports laughter memories is one he highlighted, The Hunt that day was people named Johnson and oblivious to it Irv asked callers, "Do you have a Johnson?"  The other great memories center around his back and forth about Joe's unfounded disdain for the 2001 Avalanche and John Elway and how he never let him rest on it.  Irv and Joe will not be matched, because there is not enough guys that are willing to put in the work to learn as much as these two did on a daily basis.  I have yet to hear a show cover as many subjects and sports as Irv and Joe could in 3 hours.  Hell, their 1-hour show was more diverse than almost anything The Fan has produced in the last month.


Irv Brown, today being known as Irv Brown Day in Colorado is a fitting send off for a legend.  The amount of radio/TV guys that have shown their respect on social media and on your show today is unmatched.  You will be missed and Denver Sports Radio loses a big piece of its heart today. 


Come Home Baby, Now!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well put Ace. I've listened to them since I got to Colorado in 2000. It's been my ultimate pleasure to share the air waves with such a legend and got to pick his brain on occasion. He will be missed by, "The cast of thousands."

    ReplyDelete