Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Denver Sports Radio gets back two of it's best, Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller...

Ever since I heard Joel Klatt was leaving Colorado for LA (can I get a Hallelujah?!) I thought one name, Vic Lombardi.  Lombardi is the elder Klatt.  Both have a certain swagger like Derek from Step Brothers where you just want to do what Dale does to him in the tree house, but Vic is much easier to stomach and honestly is one of the best radio show personalities Denver has had to offer in the last half a decade.  Unfortunately, Gary Miller and his show was pulled from the carpet by Lou from Littleton when he sold out The Ticket to become ESPN Radio Denver and get Mike and Mike talking New York, Notre Dame and all other ESPN rhetoric every morning.  I live in Denver and am a Denver fan, so I want to listen to local sports.  Unfortunately, I can't stomach Klatt.  I tried.  He was solid when he had a wise ass like Nate Kreckman or a fellow Buff QB brethren to keep his arrogance at bay but with his appropriately noted Ace and Gary show with Mike Evans, I only find myself keeping 104.3 The Fan on during their segments with Vic because Vic challenges Klatt like his old co-hosts used to.  Lombardi and Klatt would have been listening gold and were on their segments.  I am a big CU fan and am not a Mike Bohn fan, much like Klatt, but I liked the questions Vic used to get Klatt and others to defend their positions.

My morning commute will now have a tough choice and will probably require a lot of pointer finger and thumb dexterity starting July 1st when Klatt moves on to hopefully greener pastures.  Lombardi hopefully will not drive me batty like Klatt if Evans stays with him and displays a similar position with him.  Mark Mosier would be a good fit but he only seems to do fill-ins.  I say welcome back Vic.  Your show with Gary Miller was great and to be honest the Morning Mayhem show I listen to is a younger, hipper version that I believe I enjoy because it reminds me of what you had.

Additionally, Gary Miller will be doing all CSU Rams play-by-play and host an afternoon show on ESPN Radio 105.5/102.3 and do coaches shows with basketball coach Larry Eustachy and football coach Jim McElwain   For some reason we have 2 ESPN stations in Denver, often playing the same thing.  I look forward to Miller in the afternoon.  I won't want to hear much of his pro-Ram talk but that's understandable being a lifelong Buff fan.

It leaves me wondering what is going to happen to the likes of Kreckman, Charles Johnson and what other shake-ups are in-store.  My hope is Kreckman teams with Lombardi or Miller.  I believe Kreckman is a great talent and carries shows, that's why they call him the Working Man.  Only Danny Williams can combat him for entertainment from the Denver Sports Radio hosts.  I have blogged about Ranking Denver Sports in that link there but it may have to be changed up a little by the start of football season, so look for that in late August.  For now, I will spend June wondering what is in store and looking forward to the changes ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment